Saturday, January 23, 2010

Wendy's Films of 2010 #20: Sherlock Holmes (2009)

Maybe it's because I'm a sucker for Robert Downey Jr. (and Jude Law), or that I have a history of enjoying most of Guy Ritchie's films, or perhaps it's because so many people told me that it really wasn't that good. But I must say that I really loved watching Sherlock Holmes. The music is awesome, I particularly enjoyed The Rocky Road to Dublin by The Dubliners, and Zimmer's great score; as he himself said, "We rented 20th Century Fox’s underground car park one Sunday and did hideous things to a piano." I liked Rachel McAdam's character and her witty reparte with Holmes, not to mention her ass-kicking skills and ability to defuse potentially lethal, er... situations (I don't want to give away too much).

It's pretty much what you'd expect from a Ritchie film: entertaining characters, a lighthearted plot blown up to seem grim and serious for the sake of convincing theatrics, and lots and lots of fighting, guns and explosions! It's great for a diverting friday night at the movies. Oh, and let's just say Robert Downey Jr. can speak French to me any day.

No comments: