Thursday, March 11, 2010

Wendy's Films of 2010 #49: Alice in Wonderland (2010)

So, first of all, let me tell the world that I'm not a fan of 3-D films. Alice was my first 3-D experience, and the combination of uncomfortably having to wear glasses on top of my glasses, the (mostly) crappy quality of the 3-D, and the fact that the grey tinge on the glasses ruined the colour in the film pretty much decided for me that 3-D films don't need to be a part of my life.

The movie itself lacked what the Mad Hatter himself called "muchness". I have a feeling that the stunning colours Tim Burton so often uses in his films might have rescued at least part of my good opinion, but sadly for Tim, I was wearing the equivalent of sunglasses for the duration of the film. The plot was poorly constructed, with bad pacing and little time for character development, and the story lacked a certain depth needed to maintain the interest of older viewers. I did like the message it sent: that young girls can choose to do whatever they want with their lives, whether it's battling evil in awesome armour, or travelling the world on board a ship. But this sadly didn't make up for what the film lacked.

Before I go on complaining too much, I'll just say that I felt the film seemed to have such potential, which is why I was so disappointed. I can normally reach for the best in a film, acclaiming it for what it's done right instead of criticizing it for its downfalls, but this one had such finances, such potential, that I can't help but be saddened by what befell a story so beloved to so many.

Also, I wasn't a fan of the Jabberwocky. Just saying.

No comments: