Friday, March 5, 2010

Wendy's Films of 2010 #44: The September Issue (2009)

Fashion never used to interest me. Even today I'm not exactly a fussy dresser; a pair of jeans, a sweater and a tank top and I'm pretty much out of the house. That doesn't mean I don't think it's beautiful though, which is why The September Issue interested me as much as it did. The film's superficial purpose is to show the effort that goes into making the year's most important issue of Vogue, but to me it also seems like a sort of plea for fashion and an attempt to glimpse at the minds who conceive of what the world should wear. I may not agree with everything fashion goddess and Anna Wintour (editor of Vogue) thinks, like her love of furs, but her incredible decisiveness and strong opinions are quite compelling and make her interesting to watch. For those who, like me, have no idea who Anna Wintour because they know little about the fashion industry, she is the real life woman that Meryl Streep's character in The Devil Wears Prada is based on. Her opinion can decide what a major designer decides to show the world. To me, one of the most interesting parts was when Wintour talks about what her siblings think of her job, and later what her daughter has to say about wanting to do something more with her life.

No comments: