Thursday, March 4, 2010

Wendy's "Films" of 2010 #43: Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations, Season 3 (2007)

Man, I really want to go to Singapore now. I almost went there before, as a sea cadet on exchange back in 2003. But then SARS happened. Like a virus, it spread, ruining my chances of seeing the faraway country I'd been dreaming of. Even better, a friend of mine was chosen to go the next year and I was sent to Fort Lewis, Washington. Basically a desert, and I was a sea cadet.

Bourdain's third season of travelling the world and eating delicious food, besides giving me cravings and a bursting desire to hop on a plane, is just as excellent as the first and second. He visits NYC, Shanghai, Brazil, French Polynesia, Hong Kong, and Singapore, among other countries and cities; he feasts on bone marrow in a food court, yak's milk cheese in the hills near Shanghai and his favourite cheap hot dog and papaya drink place around the corner from his old apartment.

Really, this show is about enjoying food and people as much as possible, and enjoying the best the place you're in has to offer. I just love how he dives in whether or not it's disgusting chili cheese spaghetti in Cleveland or a huge meal lovingly made by a new friend and eaten over an entire afternoon in São Paulo.

And apparently, Singapore has some of the best food in the world. Go figure.

No comments: