Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Wendy's Films of 2010 #40: Pierrot le fou (1965)

I'd somehow worked up this film in my mind to be something somewhat different from what it was. It's not that it isn't characteristic of Jean-Luc Godard's films, but the story was a little less engaging than I'd hoped. I did enjoy it, but it didn't sweep me off my feet. I'll have to watch it again with a friend who loves French New Wave. New Wave isn't something you should watch when you're not in the mood; I wouldn't suggest watching anything if you're not in the mood for it, really. It is a great example of Godard's work, however. At one point, Anna Karina's character asks Jean-Paul Belmondo, "Who are you talking to?" "The audience," he replies. I love parts like this. The colours are magnificent; bright yellows and blues add exuberance to this film about love and loss. Karina and Belmondo have wonderful chemistry, and I love how she continues to call him Pierrot, though he always replies, "My name is Ferdinand."

No comments: