Friday, February 19, 2010

Ryan Watches a Motion Picture #8: Pandorum (2009)


I've read it described as The Descent meets Event Horizon, with a bit of Cube. That about sums it up.

While Pandorum doesn't ever quite reach the level of its predecessors (yeah, I liked Event Horizon), it did satisfy me enough to warrant a fairly positive recommendation - though not enough to put it under the 'recommended' blog tag reserved for whole-hearted enthusiasm. Pandorum dwells on some plot elements it really didn't need to, tries to be too many movies, and should have drawn its mysteries out much, much more than it did. It did provide me with memorable scenes, however, and more importantly, an atmosphere I found really engrossing.

And it has Dennis Quaid being growly and weird.

So: Flawed, but certainly worth a watch.

No comments: