Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Wendy's Films of 2010 #29: Precious: Based on the Novel Push by Sapphire (2009)

I was slightly perplexed by this movie. It seemed to have all the components of a great film; one to inspire hope, to effect change, to shove people out of their comfort zone. But somehow I didn't feel incredibly drawn into its story. I felt like time was crawling and halfway through thought it was almost over. Just when things start to go right for Precious (Gabourey Sidibe), they go wrong again. It felt relentless to the point of losing purpose. Sure I cried, I felt angry; I was happy that she had such strength and optimism, but I didn't walk out with that feeling of having watched a really great piece of cinema.

I found out that the film was nominated for several Oscars just hours before seeing it and felt confident that the performances of Sidibe and Mo'Nique would be powerful, and they were. Sidibe is instantly likable, and I immediately sympathized with her character's awful state of being. There were other aspects of the film that I really liked, especially the fantasies Precious experiences in times of particular hardship. I was pleasantly surprised at the inclusion of a central character's same-sex relationship, and was glad that all the problems weren't neatly tied together. I really wanted to love this film, but unfortunately it seemed to lack something, or perhaps it had to much.

No comments: