Monday, February 15, 2010

Wendy's Films of 2010 #37: The Science of Sleep (2006)

I sort of happened upon this film when a friend suggested we watch a movie she'd just bought, and I must say I was quite happily surprised. I'd seen a few of Michel Gondry's films before and this one definitely fits in with his distinct visual style and storytelling. I loved the idea: a young man (Gael Garcia Bernal) drifts between life and waking dreams, not knowing the difference, and we drift in and out with him. As he attempts to deal with the recent death of his father in Mexico and the culture shock of living in Paris, young Stéphane's dreams are as confused as his state of mind. Bernal's charming forgetfulness and the unaffected thoughtfulness of Charlotte Gainsbourg - his beautiful neighbour - make for a strong and yet strange combination. It's a tale filled with love, cellophane streams, cotton clouds and stop animation horses. Definitely a surreal experience, but one I thoroughly enjoyed.

No comments: