Monday, February 1, 2010

Wendy's Films of 2010 #26: The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938)

The problem with this movie is that Errol Flynn is just too damn charismatic. How can I possibly be expected to notice Maid Marian's loveliness, or Prince John's evil plotting when all I'm thinking is, "Damn, that man has a fine laugh!" I know of no other man who can pull off gold sparkley sleeves and tights (tight tights!), and still be masculine and charming enough to pull of a woman's haircut. I thoroughly enjoyed not only Mr. Flynn, but the theatrical and legendary feel to film as a whole. The costumes were beautiful, especially the gowns worn by Marian (Olivia de Havilland), and many of the sets were epic in size and majesty. In a way I wish I'd seen this movie as a kid, when I watched The Ten Commandments and My Fair Lady over and over, movies that now feel ingrained in my childhood and have influenced my idea of classics. Also, having seen Mel Brooks' Robin Hood: Men in Tights at a fairly young age, I was quite pleased to find out that there are dozens of references in it to Errol Flynn's Robin Hood. Both are film's I'd recommend to anyone looking for a fun evening with a rogue lord.

No comments: