Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Wendy's "Films" of 2010 #39: Dollhouse, Season 1 (2009)

Why do Joss Whedon's shows always get cancelled lately? They're an awful lot more interesting and entertaining than Everybody Love Raymond, that's for sure. Dollhouse is about Caroline/Echo (Eliza Dushku), a girl who gives 5 years of her life (for an unknown reason) to a corporation that wipes the minds of young men and women and rents them out to rich customers with new minds and memories. It's interesting because you think at first that it'll be hard to connect with the characters if they keep changing personalities, but it's oddly refreshing and after a time certain characteristics begin to show through. Many characters are played by actors from past Whedon creations, and I loved several of them; Echo's handler Boyd (my friends and I came up with the term "boyded" to refer to Boyd kicking someone's ass), Dr. Claire Saunders, Echo's fellow "active" Victor, and Topher, the programmer of the mind. My one major complaint has to do with the last episode of the season, which takes a drastic turn with little to no explanation. The tone of this new style left me with very little desire to see the second season, as its characteristics aren't really aligned with my tastes. I'm trying to be a vague as possible so I don't spoil it for anyone, but I'm pleased to say that I've been told by friends that the second season returns to the original story for the most part. I definitely want to check out what happens next in this series, as Whedon draws you in with great dialogue, interesting characters and a really intriguing premise.

No comments: