Friday, June 25, 2010

Wendy's Films of 2010 #84: Kick-Ass (2010)

I wasn't quite skeptical when I walked into the theatre to see Kick-Ass, but I wasn't sure that the film would live up to the hype that it had been pretty constantly receiving from those around me. That and I've learned to be weary of Nicholas Cage.

That being said, I walked out the theatre with my mind completely changed. Little did I know that little Chloe Moretz would barge in and shoot her way into my giddy, excessive action loving heart. I expected a movie about a kid who decides to suit up, call himself Kick-Ass and beat down crime in his neighbourhood. He might fall in love, he'd probably be successful at proving to everyone that all it takes is the heart and the training, and I would probably walk out slightly dissatisfied but not unhappy. This, luckily, ended up being only a fraction of the story. Without revealing too much, let's just say that I think there should be more 12-year-old school girls toting guns and blasting away the dirty scum that pollutes their cities. (Just in the movies of course.)  Not only is Moretz charming and full of spunk, but she handles guns and weapons with more pizazz and know-how than 90% of the grown men and women in action films these days.

This one hasn't been released to DVD yet, but GenX will certainly be getting it when it is. I like that it's a story about the underdog, and I love the amount of purely insane action. I've always been a sucker for action-packed thrill-rides with a twist.

No comments: