Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Wendy's Films of 2010 #83: This Is Kung Fu (1987)

When I say this film is sort of boring, I say it in the best way possible. In fact, I would even consider watching it again. This is Kung Fu is boring only if you take it at face value; if you enjoy martial arts films and have a sense of humour, however, you might just find this to be exactly what you're looking for. One plot summary I found is perfect: "Documentary featuring scenes of hand-to-hand and combat with weapons." This is what the entire film consists of. In it, people "play at" various kinds of Kung Fu and the narrator describes what they do. There are also some pretty crazy stunts (though I hesitate to call them such), especially those performed by the children of a Kung Fu practising family about 3/4 of the way through the film. Several parts feature a young Jet Li, and the film will certainly clear up any confusion over the styles and weapons used. I only wish I had written down some of the phrases used by the narrator, as they made me laugh way harder than any comedy has of late.

No comments: