Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Wendy's Films of 2010 #109 & #110: Police Squad! (1982) & The Naked Gun (1988)















It seems pretty fitting that even though I watched these Leslie Nielson classics back in June, that I should have waited (clearly intentionally, not because I got behind in things) to review them until now. Sadly he died just a few weeks ago, but luckily he was an actor and we get to remember him in such classics as his TV series Police Squad! and later film Naked Gun: From the Files of Police Squad! His style of humour is kind of wild, a bit nonsensical, but his puns, play on words and strange remarks are what make him so funny to me.

Sadly there are only 6 episodes in Police Squad! but you can watch him again in the Naked Gun series. I remember my dad really liking Naked Gun when I was a kid, but it wasn't until this year that I watched them again and really understood the jokes and his style of humour. Of the two, I think I actually prefer Police Squad!, probably because of my love for spoofs; this one does a great job at playing with the television police drama, especially the narrative style. I love the way it feels like Airplane! and the hidden jokes playing on in the background. Definitely recommended, though I should say that Airplane! is still my favourite ;)

No comments: