Thursday, December 9, 2010

Wendy's Films of 2010 #108: Shinjuku Incident (2009)

Most Jackie Chan films I've seen have been a bit silly. I never really got a chance to see his previous stuff where you get treated to his awesome martial arts skills, so when this film was suggested I was a little apprehensive, but it ended up being quite good as I remember. (I did watch it back in June, after all.) Chan plays a Chinese man who immigrates to Japan to make money. Unfortunately he loses his Chinese papers and cannot go back home to his love. He begins making it in Japan doing odd jobs and eventually makes it into the underground illegal system. He gets twisted into deeper and darker situations and eventually makes it into the hierarchy of the Yakuza as a manager of the Chinese area of town and its gangs. Of course things go downhill, he finds out his former love had moved to Japan and married one of his foes. You can imagine the action and gunfire now if you please.

Overall I'd say it was a satisfactory film, that I enjoyed and would recommend if someone asked about it. Nothing hugely memorable (I had to look it up before I remembered what it was about), but worth your while if you're in the mood for an action drama with a bit of comedy and some Yakuza action.

No comments: