Sunday, May 30, 2010

Wendy's Films of 2010 #80: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2009)


I won't even attempt the eloquence that Chris had in his review of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, since he almost always baffles me with his adeptness in expressing precisely what he means so beautifully. I will say, however, that based on what I've heard about the novel, the film does a wonderful job of conveying its dark tone and subject matter. I was almost immediately absorbed into its mysterious and moody atmosphere, and found myself forgetting I was even reading subtitles. That, to me, is one way of knowing that I'm watching a great foreign film. I never dislike subtitles, but if I forget that they're there entirely the film itself is clearly doing its job. Noomi Rapace and Michael Nyqvist have wonderful chemistry, and I love how even their relationship throughout the film acts as a sort of mystery to uncover. Seeing the film has also made me want to read the series of novels, which I hear are quite excellent.

No comments: