Saturday, May 29, 2010

Wendy's Films of 2010 #79: Lone Wolf and Cub (1972)

Let me first apologize for the quality of this review, I'm still drugged up from the removal of my wisdom teeth and I'm not sure that my current trains of thought are conducive to being published for the world to read.


An intelligent man once suggested I watch this film, and I must say I'm quite glad he did so. It actually compares quite well with the much more recent Zatôichi, especially in the quantity of blood that spews from wounds - a quality which I can certainly appreciate. Lone Wolf and Cub: Sword of Vengeance is the story of a man whose life is turned upside down when his wife is killed, he swears vengeance and gives his infant son the opportunity to choose between a life of murder and a peaceful death. The son chooses life and their long journey toward revenge begins.

It's the first in a 6-part series, 7 if you include Shogun Assassin (which I'll hopefully write a review for soon). The balance between flighting, blood, humour and heart is quite close to Zatôichi, or should I say that Zatôichi's is similar Lone Wolf's. The Lone Wolf's stalwart sense of honour and virtue adds integrity to a story that might otherwise be about senseless killing. I love the 70s vibe, and how insane the object of Lone Wolf's vengeance (Yagyū Retsudo) looks; there is little to dislike about this film and I'd definitely recommend checking it out. If you're in the mood for something a little funnier, however, I'd suggest watching Shogun Assassin first.

No comments: