Sunday, April 4, 2010

Wendy's Films of 2010 #62: The Killer (1989)

John Woo (or John Wow, as a guy once said in one of my film classes several years ago) and Chow Yun-Fat are awesome. That being said, I have to admit that I laughed quite a lot throughout The Killer, and it was solely because of the music. It often felt like I was watching a cheesy 80s B-romance, which definitely took my appreciation level down a notch, or perhaps just a notch in the wrong direction. That and the doves. Doves? I mean, I get the symbolism, but really? I guess it was the 80s.

I just love Chow Yun-Fat's expressiveness, and his sterling sense of honour and duty as an old school hitman. The opening sequence is stunning; I love the way John Woo filmed Yun-Fat's tragic blinding of the beautiful singer. The difference between this and most action films is that this one is less about violence and money, and more about character, morality and sentiment. Check this one out dude, it's like, wow.

2 comments:

cjb said...

you are going to hell for this review.

Wendy said...

I'm sorry! I don't want to go to hell!