Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Wendy's Films of 2010 #102: Howl's Moving Castle (2004)

When a dreaded witch sees the charming wizard Howl flirting with a young woman named Sofi, she curses her, turning the girl into an old woman. I find Hayao Miyazaki's Howl's Moving Castle remarkable because it's a film geared towards kids, but it has more substance and heart than most "adult" films I know. It's filled with hope, romance, magic and fear, not to mention a thousand other possible descriptors. It makes me feel as though I'd have to see it again before being able to write a proper review.

I will say, however, that I have long ceased to listen to people who say that cartoons as a whole aren't as worthwhile or developed as live action films, and this one in particular serves as a wonderful example. Apart from its subject matter, it is a beautiful film, brimming with stunning images, and capable of rivalling many live action cinematographers. Sofi's story is one that intends not only to amaze with adventure, but to show that the heart matters far more than beauty. This is a message that I think children (and adults) should take to heart, and hopefully showing them this and others of Miyazaki's films can help all people towards understanding the human spirit a little more.

No comments: